Monastery of the Virgin Mary Kipouria
The monastery of the Virgin Mary Kipouria was founded in 1750. The name Kipouria comes from the Greek word for gardens, and was given to reference the many orchards and gardens cultivated by the monks in the hopes that the manastery might be self sufficient. The monastery suffered substantial damage twice in the past, once in 1915 from a mistaken attack by the French, and later in the 1953 earthquake. Reconstruction was undertaken following these events, and is continued to this day by the now lone monk to live on the premises.
The religious treasures, the impressive views and grounds, and the unparalleled hospitality of the elderly father Efsevios make for an unforgettable visit.