Fortress of Assos
The fortress of Assos was built in 1585 following a request by local ambassadors that the Venetians reinforce the island’s defense capacities. As it is a closed peninsula, Assos became the natural choice for the project, effectively making Assos the capital of northern Kefalonia. In practice however the project proved to be less than successful as the distant location and lack of potable water made creating a thriving settlement a challenge to say the least. Eventually, efforts were abandoned, and the fortress served as a prison until 1943. Today, one can visit the ruins of this formidable Renaissance structure, including the former residence of the Venetian administrator, military buildings, and St. Mark’s chapel.