De Bosset Bridge in Argostoli
Built in 1813 by the Swiss engineer Charles Philippe DeBosset, the bridge connecting Argostoli with the village of Drapano was an architectural feat—the longest stone bridge to cross seawater. Midway across stands an obelisk structure commemorating its completion in four languages; Greek, English, Italian, and Latin. Though the inscription was modified by subsequent ruling forces, it originally read: “To the glory of the British Empire”. In the 1953 earthquake which devastated the island, roughly a third of the bridge was destroyed, but the obelisk was left intact, and the fallen portion was restored and functional until it was recently closed again for renovation by the Ministry of Culture.